Monday, September 22, 2008

Two are better than one...

"because they have a good return for their work." (Ecclesiastes 4:9)

Two of the goals that Bob and I set for this year are 1) to go jogging consistently (e.g. 2-3x/week) and 2) to memorize passages from the Bible regularly. This week we started memorizing Psalm 145 together, and decided that it might work well to work on it while we are jogging.

On Saturday as we were jogging for the third time in a week, I was reflecting on all the benefits of this system. First, since we jog together, I tend to push myself a little more than I would if I was jogging alone. And Bob goes jogging more frequently than he would otherwise. Also, since we work on memorizing the psalm while we jog, we get a concentrated patch of time to learn new verses, and since we are both hearing and speaking I think it might even sink in a little more! To top it all off, we get to speak about God's glory in creation ("They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will meditate on your wonderful works.") while we are enjoying the trees, sun, and creation of God. What more could you ask for?? :)

No comments: