Saturday, October 7, 2017

Have Mercy, LORD

It happened so quickly.  There I was on the side of the road, talking with Abdullah.  The bag hung over my right shoulder, non-street side.  Abdullah and I had exchanged greetings and I was describing to him in Arabic where I was headed.  Suddenly and inexplicably, Abdullah leaned in, embracing me as the motorcycle whizzed by on my right side.  Before I could gasp or say a word, we stood there shell-shocked as the thieves absconded with all of my bag save one of the two straps.  We had heard of this happening to others, now I was the victim.  Abdullah saw that I was okay, except for a minor abrasion where the canvas bag had been ripped away from the grip of my arm.  Others standing in the vicinity came over to offer solace. 

I continued my short trek down to the store to buy a few things, still feeling a bit jarred.  On my way back, there was Abdullah, where I had met him.  He has tracked down the remainder of our bag which the thieves had discarded when they realized there was nothing inside.  The sturdy bag that has served us well for many years and elicited many compliments was tattered and torn, but looked like it could be re-stitched.  I was so grateful to Abdullah for going to find the rest of the bag, a very thoughtful and kind gesture. 


At that very spot, in front of the mosque, sat Ismael, a neighbor.  I shared with him and others there what had happened.  They were sympathetic.  “Allah kariim,” God is generous, we all noted, giving thanks that the situation had not been any worse and giving thanks to God for His provision.  I went home and explained what happened to the guards where we live.  They also were kind and concerned.  I told the whole story to Kristi in our apartment as she attended to my wounded arm and spirit.  Shortly thereafter Lynn and Sharon Kandel, our Regional Liaisons, came down to encourage me, having heard about the traumatic event.  The following day at the market, two women whom we frequently buy things from, Kapeeta and Amina, noticed my wound and expressed sympathy.  The following day Emmanuel, the manager of our building, came down just to see how I was doing after having heard of the affair.  In short, I felt a lot of care and concern and sympathy from our community here.

Another conversation during that time stands out.  Susan, one of the women who cleans our building, explained how there are many people here who are hungry and are driven by their hunger to steal.  I had thought of this reality, which gave me some compassion towards the two men who had stalked me.  I cannot say that their actions are justifiable, but I do see their actions as reflective of the social challenges faced by so many here in South Sudan.  Soldiers, police and teachers haven’t been paid in six months.  The ongoing civil war has displaced millions.  Children are without parents and scavenge for food on the streets alongside dogs.  There are so many sad realities here that simply break one’s heart time and time again. 

This episode serves as a good reminder not only to be vigilant when walking in Juba, but also of the desperation felt by so many.  Lord, I forgive these two men and I pray that You would provide for their needs so they do not feel the need to steal.  May you soften their hearts and change their circumstances, and may You hear the cries of the many who are struggling.  Have mercy, LORD, on this distressed land.   

    

2 comments:

Jim B said...

Glad you are safe. There may be a sermon here about "Hold Loosely" the things of this world.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting your ordeal in the context of the life many of the South Sudanians must live daily. May you continue to grow in understanding and compassion as we pray that God places a hedge of protection over you.

Praying for your life, work, and passion in South Sudan!
patti and alan