Saturday, May 9, 2020

Continuing Studies

Two weeks after arriving in Rwanda in March 2002, Antoine Rutayisire, my host, asked me, “So Bob, what made you decide to come and live and serve with us here in Rwanda?” I replied to Antoine, telling him that I came not only to serve but to learn more about the Rwandan story and the African experience. I felt that our two-week visits to Rwanda had merely skimmed the surface of the many issues I found interesting and concerning. Over the next two and half years, I would so learn much about the realities of Rwandans living in a post-Genocide context. I would participate with them in their healing, their challenges, their joys, and their sorrows.

In January 2005, I began a dual degree at Fuller Theological Seminary. On top of my Master of Divinity degree, I began a Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies (MAICS) degree, feeling a continued sense of call to cross-cultural ministry. A huge draw for the MAICS degree was the final writing project, or thesis, whereby I would continue critical reflection upon my mission experience. My final paper, entitled “Banana Tree Leaders,” focused upon how Rwandan church leaders are developed according to the Bible, the church, and their culture. The whole research process, which included a three-week trip to Rwanda, was highly informative. As I met with my research advisor and a friend, together they asked me, “Have you considered doctoral studies?”

As we lived and served in Congo, this question would stay with me. Issues regarding church and culture invite continual reflection. I wanted to dig in deeper with these issues and equip others to do the same. In the fall of 2016, I shared the idea of continuing studies with our Presbyterian World Mission leaders. They responded positively. In the spring of 2017 Dave Dawson of Shenango Presbytery connected me with Dr. Retief Müller of Stellenbosch University, South Africa. Retief encouraged me from the start, sharing the same research concerns and appreciation for many of the same scholars, practitioners of mission, and theologians. In Retief I found a kindred spirit. When I fell sick in 2017 with the Epstein Barr Virus, Retief was supportive and patient. His support continued when I reached out to him last year and asked if was still willing to serve as my advisor for a doctoral program. He agreed. I applied.

In late September 2019, I was accepted as a prospective candidate for a PhD program at Stellenbosch University in South Africa. I was “over the moon” with excitement. Last October Kristi and I were able to meet Retief in person for the first time in Grand Rapids, MI, where he has taken the post of Director of The Nagel Institute for the Study of World Christianity, while being retained by Stellenbosch as a research associate. The leadership and faculty at Nile Theological College, where I teach in Juba, South Sudan, support me in this endeavor, recognizing that advanced studies will strengthen the institution and make me a better teacher. During this current season of being in the U.S., I am writing my Research Proposal for full acceptance as a candidate. Kristi and I plan to continue our service in South Sudan as I continue my doctoral studies part-time from Juba.

The other night we watched an interview of Douglas Gresham, stepson to C.S. Lewis. Gresham was asked to remark on his memories of his stepfather, C.S. Lewis. Gresham recalled that “Jack” (Lewis) encouraged him to examine things, to not take anything at face value. In my continuing studies, I hope and pray to examine church and culture, not taking things at face value. Pray with me that my studies bring glory to God, further His Kingdom, and bless the African Church…

1 comment:

Jim Berger said...

I am glad you are getting the support you need to move forward. I know only too well how precious support often is.

And with just two years under my belt in the Republic of Niger, I share an abundance of your interests as well!